[compost_tea] to empower or not

From: spigold <spigold_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:08:48 -0000

Greetings
I would first like to comment on this post which I see as veiled
threat from someone who offers no more information, than I do about
my self.

Post 6656
Spigold.....How about some self-ID, and location?
Steve

I can see my previous post hit too close to home for some, judging by
the nature of the responses. From where I sit and work, the wide
spread use of CT can be accomplished by a number of strategies, I
will illustrate two that seem the most promising. First the
preponderance of the research (science) concludes that CT is
beneficial and this is why… The other route is the widespread
diffusion of the necessary knowledge in laymen's terms that everyone
can understand and apply it. Therefore leading the scientific
community to follow and prove what the general population already
knows. The first route is very expensive the second route costs
little if anything.
I will cite a couple of loose examples. The general organic
agriculture movement worked by the second method. The widespread
diffusion of knowledge by those practicing it. Elliot Coleman is an
example of an individual who helped disperse how-to on market
farming. In fact Elliot has contributed a number of tools to the
trade which are offered by Glaser, I have no way of knowing the
agreement between Eliot and Glazer so I will not venture a guess.
However Eliot provides in his book the information needed to build
the very tools that are sold. (I prefer to buy because of the
quality that Glaser offers.)
Another example is Pastured Poultry, which has seen much growth in
the recent past. Two names are important here Joel Salatin and Andy
Lee. Both have books that empower the reader with sufficient
knowledge to succeed.
Further examples abound…
By all accounts these individuals and many others have freely (or for
the cost of a book)given of their intellectual knowledge so that the
rest of us can benefit. There is no reason to believe that this type
of farming would have grown so quickly with out this diffusion of
knowledge. As anecdotal evidence the pastured poultry discussion
group has nearly three times as many members as CT, this is a benefit
in its self.
As a Market Farmer I would like to use CT on my farm. The evidence
that exists is enough to capture my curiosity that I want to see for
myself. However the initial cost of brewers and the lack of more
evidence is a large hurdle. I believe it to be a larger hurdle for
main stream agriculture, not until farmers can see for themselves the
benefit, they will not adopt the technology. This boils down to
seeing it tested and working on a neighbor's farm or the research
plots to prove it. The bottom line in agriculture is to thin not to
stay competitive with your neighbor.
Jason was quite correct that I received such a timely response to my
earlier question, Bob is to be commended. I would like to say that
his response quickly dives off into jargon and other information that
the lay person will not understand. Not everyone who uses CT is
going to be an expert on it.
I have spent some time looking through the archives. My search has
been plagued by information that beats around the bush. Chris'
efforts to distill the archives into a usable form are to be applauded
We can empower each other or hold our trade secrets for ourselves,
its a choice.
Spigold

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511