Re: [compost_tea] Re: storing worm castings

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 00:56:17 -0500

If you do plastic barrels, put a pipe with holes in it down the middle, to get air to the lower levels of the material.

I prefer wooden containers with slits, or spaces that allow air the move into the compost. Need to keep the compost moist, so in dry climates, not very large slits!

Or just putthe compost in the ground, and use compost fabric to cover the pile. I actually use plastic sheeting at times. Just make sure not to tuck the edges all under so air can't get into the pile.

Sometimes you just have to go with what you have....

Another thought - if you use plastic barrels, another way to deal with the lack of air flow is to put holes in the bottom so air can get in. Up on bricks too, possibly?

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Port Jefferson, NY