[compost_tea] RE: storing worm castings

From: Ted Patterson <patters_at_erols.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 14:43:18 -0500

At 9:33 AM -0800 12/31/03, Kelly Slocum wrote:
>I am new to this list, though I&#8217;ve been lurking for several days
>now, and I wanted to introduce myself before diving in to posting....
>
>Specific to Ted&#8217;s question, worm castings require only to be kept
>damp, dark and in a non-airtight container to maintain their &#8220;shelf
>life&#8221; for a period of more than three years.... [snip]

What a timely introduction. I was surprised and happy to see a response
from Kelly, and pleased that she'll be offering advice to this group.

I've always stored my finished [indoor] worm compost in rubbermaid bins
with little wood blocks slightly propping the lid open.
The air flow has seemed fine over the storage period, except to the bottom
inch or so if the worm compost was pretty wet initially.

In spite of my best harvesting efforts there is always a residual worm
population in the finished compost, and in an more open container those
guys are going to want to go for a walkabout.

[Open outdoor storage for worm compost from outdoor bins is not a problem,
except for chipmunks tunneling in. I continue to believe that they eat
worms.]

I apologize for drifting off the list focus, but worm compost is an
essential ingredient for my tea brews. Thanks.
-Ted

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: