[compost_tea] Plum Curculio Response to Elaine

From: dakesian1 <dakesian_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 13:20:56 -0000

Thank you so much for the great reply. You're the tops Elaine! I
printed out your reply and will try to answer all your questions as
best as I can and objectively. (I also transferred your reply to
my "important" messages permanent folder on my computer. If only I
could have two wives - oh well, LOL!)

First let me preface some facts. I don't have a serious PC problem
but I do have to spray twice with Imidan to prevent any damage.
So this might be a serious problem and I don't realize it!

I do place huge amounts of organic material in the yard but, I
swear, the clay soil absolutely devours this organic material
quickly. Mulched leaves in the fall are ground into very fine
particles by my lawn mower and are decomposed by spring. All the
organic feeds I use are devoured by the soil. I don't have
a "residual" problem. At least by "eyesight" methods. Which is
obviously a simple minded method!

I removed our two plum trees last year and had to dig about three
feet into the soil. (I also replaced these trees with a peach tree
and dug that hole about 4 feet down.) There was no definitive
demarcation line between what now appears and "feels" like a clay
loam until I get to about 2 feet. After that, the clay subsoil
becomes more visible and by 3 feet is very discernible. Is that
good? It me took 15 years to get the clay loam to go that deeply.
I'm giving you my honest, objective opinion that my soil devours
organic material. I mean it!

I live in Michigan, Zone 5, and have rich clay soil left by the
receding glaciers. Problem is, no organic matter to speak of after
the builders left us with the classic clay subsoil after grading the
lot, etc. It's rich soil but devoid of organic matter as you know.

I love adding the organic amendments and it is going to be hard to
stop adding so much as you suggest. It's just plain fun for me, it's
not work.

I can't make compost piles on my lot as there is really no room and
I don't want to turn the neighbors off. That's why I use the mulch
mower and lasagna compost to decompose organic material. I wish I
had a spot to make a compost pile but I don't.

Finally, I didn't want to give you the wrong impression about my
trees and plants. They are growing extremely well IMHO. The
fruit is delicious, dense and healthy. Same for veggies. Flower
beds grow good flowers and I don't appear to have any excessive leaf
growth that you would expect with too much N application.

Anyway here go my answers Elaine:

1- The drainage tiles aren't plugged up I think. When removing the
two plum trees last year the tiles were still open and functioning.
I had placed screening over the openings to prevent soil from
seeping into them. It appears to have worked.

Watering has diminished alot since you introduced me to ACT. I
don't have to water much and in the summer there doesn't appear to
be too dry or wet conditions present anymore. The soil doesn't dry
out too quickly and doesn't stay too wet. Btw, I laid drainage tile
from all the roof downspouts, and sump pump pipe, and they drain
into the street. They still work very well because I see the water
coming out of them with good flow. I say this because it makes me
assume that the tiles remaining around the existing fruit trees are
probably still working properly.

Last year we had a normal rainfall year and I only watered a couple
of times. Never had to water the fruit trees, only the raised beds,
etc. Let me repeat Elaine, my fruit trees appear to be very healthy
and grow great fruit. (Especially after using ACT.)

2- I buy most of my compost from a store that sells Forest Floor
compost that has wood chips and manure as the ingredients. I
definitely see fungal strands in that compost. Mushrooms grow from
it when applied to the soil occasionally. Is that a good sign?

The dogs have a favorite spot to pee and do leave a brown spot.
Most of the dog damage I was talking about relates to the "paths"
they make where they run all the time. I aerate those runs and
brown spots and then place the compost and ACT over these areas.
Seems to work in getting rid of the damage but I hear what you say
about the brown spots. I'd like more advice on that one.

3- "Exit the bloodmeal" no please don't say that, I love how a
little bloodmeal helps growth. Anyways I'll do what you say and
stay away from bloodmeal for now.

I'll also try to limit the alfalfa and feeds I put in the yard but
that soil of mine devours any organic matter I place on it. That
stuff is gone within two weeks in mid-summer applications. Do I
really have to reduce those applications? It's just so much fun for
me to add these things. I know that sounds weird but I do enjoy it.

Based on what you advise, I'm probably adding too much N. I'll take
it easy on that one.

4- I use bonemeal alot to add calcium. Is that a bad thing. I get
very good flowering, etc., with bonemeal. Why do you say I have an
iron problem? All plants seem to be deep green, healthy and growing
densly. No chlorosis is seen.

5- I mean it Elaine. The copius amount of leaves I mow into the
lawn every year decompose quickly. I believe that's the main reason
why I've changed the clay subsoil into clay loam to a depth of 2 to
2.5 feet in 15 years. Same for mulched lawn clippings and dead
veggie material. (Along with compost applications of course.)

I always grind up the leaves with the mulching mower and never leave
them whole to decompose. I don't see fungal strands in the leaves as
they are decomposing but they do decompose quickly. I wish you were
here and could see what I mean come spring. It's hard for me to
explain what I'm seeing. There is no thatch buildup and no very
discernible line between organic amendments and actual soil. I
don't know how else to describe this. Sorry! I definitely don't
have more than 1 inch of leaves visibly decomposing at the surface
of the soil at any one time. The soil devours the leaves. I mean
it Elaine - the soil devours the leaves. In fact, you can't visibly
see most of the leaves I mulched last October. I have a lot of
worms, so maybe they're mixing up the organic matter and soil?

6- My objecive with adding feeds is to provide organic matter and
fertilizer. That's all. I hear you when you say I'm overdoing it.
I'll limit those applications. However, it's so much fun for me to
add those things. They decompose quickly IMHO, but I'll try to
limit those feeds.

7- I use molasses to hasten decomposition of the organic material
I'm adding to the soil. Didn't that help in getting 2.5 feet of
clay loam from clay subsoil in 15 years? I'll limit this to grassy
areas mainly in the future.

8- I mainly add cornmeal or oatmeal to the ACT along with kelp, rock
powder and 1 Tbl. of molasses. That's about it for the majority of
my brews. I generally see some fungal threads in the tea, they're
small but they're there. I don't know the percentage however.

9- I definitely see fungal growth in the ACT dregs. Mushroom growth
sometimes happens from the areas I drop the dregs. Not always, just
sometimes. Remember though, I've only used ACT for two years now.
Is that enough time to expect permanent soil changes?

10- Dechlorinating filter on hose. You had no concerns on that one.

11- Lasagna compost - I would say about 1/3 manure and 2/3 leaves.
Generally, I see that "white" fungus growing on the manure chunks.
Is that good?

12- Spreading the dregs from my juicing is just to use the organic
matter. Much like a lasagna compost. That's all. I sometimes see
that "white" fungus growing on the pulp but I usually water the pulp
into the soil and don't see much of that fungal growth. I water it
in because it attracts too many flies.

13- There you go again Elaine. Telling me to limit the application
of the meals, etc. LOL. I'll try Elaine but I just love to apply
those meals. It's fun. (I know - I'm wacko.) But you have a great
point - the birds are pooping and fertilizing the yard.

14- Mulch mowing dead veggie material. Just more "lasagna" type
composting. I can't make a compost pile where I live. Too
unsightly for the neighbors, etc. I wish I had more room!!! I
helped make huge compost piles when I was young and worked for a
landscape company. I know how to do it but just don't have the room
here.

15- Boiling leaf tea. Just more of my wacko gardening practices.
I learned this from my grandfather and he swore by it. He felt it
gave a good dose of tannic acids, etc., to the soil where it
helped "feed the soil". Mainly maple and oak leaves are what I
collect. Of that, most are oak leaves. There are some beech,
birch, hickory and other hardwood leaves in the mix because some of
the leaves I collect come from a nearby forest where I walk the dogs.

16- Coffee grinds, just another organic amendment this wacko adds to
his yard. Evergreen shrubs get the majority of this stuff.

17- Freshly ground corn and crimped oats. Just adding more organic
matter. More wacko behavior - LOL. The materials seem to decompose
very quickly.

18- Human urine - wacko behavior again. Just adding organic
material. It doesn't "burn" the grass and the grass is mainly where
I apply it.

19- Ok, I get it Elaine LOL. I'm adding too much fertilizer. It's
going to be so hard for me to stop doing these things. I love doing
it so much!! What advice can you give to limit the habits of an
obvious wacko?

I probably should have a some tissue analysis, but my plants grow so
well that I never saw the need for one. Isn't it possible that PC
is migrating to my area from adjacent forests and neighbors trees?

Thank-you very, very much for the time you took to help me out. You
are simply the "tops" Elaine. Btw, I don't have any weeds to speak
of. When one pops up I just yank it out by hand.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511