Re: [compost_tea] Copper Sulphate

From: chuck whelan <chazfw_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 15:55:08 -0800 (PST)

Eric :
just a few quick thoughts---
1-- you may want to look at your Morgan Extract analysis-- there is always more than one way to look at a picture--
2--you must always consider the obvious-- soil type-- soil Ph-- plant tissue Ph-- nutritional balance- or more to the point- Inbalance { another obvious- excessive P will restrict Cu uptake }-- enzyme activity--level of protenacious compounds-- etc.
3-- Biology-- number-- variety-- health of the system { efficiency }
4-- you " dump " stuff on when there is a void- an absolute void - my guess- & it is just that- a guess-- there is a breakdown in the system
5--my definition of the system--- Physical / Biology / Nutrition / Atmosphere-- look for a root-cause within-- therein usually provides the answer
some one is banging at the door- i said this would be quick-
6--final thought--heed the woman-- she knows of what she speaks
take very good care - & good luck
Charls

ericgoodenough <sfo_at_gwi.net> wrote:
Dr. E has urged caution when using copper and sulfure around oour
microbes and fungi. A respected soil analyst has recommended 10#/ac
copper sulphate to our orchard soils to remedy the very low levels
found in the Morgan Extract test. We suspect the low copper is a
cause of tree and fruit splitting, and possibly the inabiliaty of the
tree to uptake enough copper to defend itself against fungal diseases
(scab, for one.)

Should I be concerned about applying this amount of Copper Sulphate
to ACT drenched soils. Maybe apply early in spring before ACT goeas
on? Maybe there's another way to get copper into the system
(filings, pieces of pipe?)

Can anyone offer suggestions? Thank you!