[compost_tea] Re: elemental sulfur....

From: hi_yield1 <hi_yield1_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 00:05:36 -0000

Mary,
A balanced organically enriched soil should be slightly acidic 6.4-6.5
or there abouts. Maybe the alkalinity of the water is causing you
problems? Take care Hi_Yield1.

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "plantlines7" <plantlines_at_h...>
wrote:
> Elemental Sulfur is allowed in the NOFA Standards for organic
> land care to lower a high P.H. in the soil. The distinction here
as
> I interpret my standards is it is not preferred in practice but it
is
> allowed. Does anyone know how elemental sulfur is made or
> where it comes from? I bought a bag for use for one of my
> clients but didn't use and also stopped all amendments
> according to my soil tests and the plants have improved
> tremendously, organic matter is high in these beds and I have
> incorporated compost over a period of 3 years. However I have
> used very little lime over the years and the P.H. was still high so
> am sure it is the compost. I assume the trick is to be able to
get
> a compost more decomposed and less alkaline. This is the
> problem I see with commercial compost sources...the one I have
> been using is Agresource and after a quick discussion with
> them I found out they use a byproduct from "gelatin-producing
> processes" in otherwords chipped cow bone. I almost hit the
> roof so if anyone is thinking of a big business lets make decent
> compost for bulk sale!!!!!! Until folks make there own compost
> we will need to buy it and bring it in. Mary

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: