Re: [compost_tea] Digest Number 587

From: John Gardner <urbanworms_at_houston.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 09:45:27 -0600

Hello CT folks. Thanks for all the great info I've gotten in my first
week of reading the posts. Of course it generates more questions than
answers but that's what it's all about, I guess. Here's a few basic
questions from a newbie:

1. Why be concerned about biofilm on the brewer? Wouldn't the thriving
aerobes in the aerated tea consume the toxins produced by the far
outnumbered bad guys?

2. How do I learn about appropriate spraying equipment for CT? I hear
references to using the proper nozzle, pressure, etc.

3. I use a chlorine filter between the hose and my industrial-sized,
home-made, hose-end sprayer. Depending on the flow rate, it might not
take out all the chlorine. Is there an acceptable level of chlorine if
the water is mixing with the tea at the point of application? The
filter uses copper-zinc redox media. Should I worry about what the
filter is putting in as it takes the chlorine out?

To give you the context for the questions, here's my current situation:

I raise worms to produce castings. Foodstock is primarily coffee
grounds, beer mash and greengrocer waste. I make tea with castings
taken directly from the bed.

My brewer is my own design with mixing driven by the aeration.

The primary use for the tea will be to spray residential lawns, as an
organic competitor to ChemLawn. I also provide organic solutions to
local landscapers via worms, castings and tea.

My resources range from limited to nonexistent. I don't have a farm to
lose, but I am behind on my mortgage. I know that testing is the answer
to most of my questions but I just can't afford it yet.

That last paragraph sounded rather down. Let me balance it. I believe
there is a huge market of homeowners who hate using chemicals but don't
have the time or access to find healthy alternatives. Once the CT
technology is efficiently applied and effectively marketed, we will be
able to bring these people products and services that keep them happy
(green lawns, etc.) and healthy. At that point I will have plenty of
money for testing!

John