[compost_tea] Re: Black Spot (apple scab)

From: ericgoodenough <sfo_at_gwi.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 14:27:45 -0000

My understanding is that a peroxyacetic acid (hydrogen peroxide and
apple cider vinegar, for instance) works in a similar fashion to
OxiDate, a broad spectrum bactericide/fungicide available stateside
from BioSafe Systems (biosafesystems.com) Oxidate has unidentified
inerts in it that are "proprietary" but I beleive the mode of action
is similar to peroxyacetic acid: "Oxidate works immediately on
contact through the oxidation of disease organisms and their spores.
A powerful chemical reaction denatures key enzymes and proteins found
in simple celled organisms. Since Oxidate's action is immediate,
there is no chance for mutational resistance. After contact, Oxidate
biodegrades into components of water and oxygen leaving no harmful
residue on crops." Those with considerably more bio-chemical
experience than I may be able to sort through the sales jargon and
facts in the above statement. Doc E has suggested, as usual :0),
that we test leaf surfaces both before and after treatment for effect
on scab and to consider vinegar's potential for becoming a foodstuff
for microbes and to ask, is this good or bad? As usual, more testing
needed.

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: