[compost_tea] Re: Spraying livestock with compost tea??

From: longbranchranch <longbranchranch_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:59:49 -0000

--- Hi neghbor, sorry about the very late reply.
About spraying cattle with compost tee. I heard of a rancher that
noticed after sprayin his pasture (with the cattle in it) it apeared
that they had less fly's.
I will test this theory this year and report findings to the group.
 As to fencing water tanks (earthen ponds). This is normaly done to
keep the cattle from damageing the tank do to damage to the dam.
Cattle does not normaly wade out into the water. When you see this
they are trying to escape the biting fly's.
A note on the enviromental impact by cattle. Cattle do not harm the
enviroment, only mans management of them.
I am both a cattleman and an enviromentalist.
Jimmy Muse
Paige Texas

In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "David Hall" <dchall8_at_t...> wrote:
> I thought I had an original idea this morning before reading all the
> discussion about compost tea and mad cow disease. Let me go through
> my thought process.
>
> Many farmers and ranchers are going to some effort to fence off
> their water sources to keep livestock out of the water. The idea
> behind that is that animals need to drink fresh water, not polluted
> water. But when the livestock get in the water, all the bodily
> functions take place. If the water is a stream or river, the wastes
> drift downstream with microbes working on them all the way. But in
> most cases, the water is a pond dug specifically to provide water
> for the animals. Over fertilization is easy to achieve in a closed
> pond with animals wandering through it all day.
>
> In nature, animals love to get into the fresh water, so the fencing
> is working against what the animals would do normally. It occurs to
> me that an animal in a virgin stream or even a lake/pond would pick
> up microbes on the hair and skin from the water. Many animals take
> mud or dust baths, so apparently there is something in the soil that
> the animals need to have on their skin, hair, or feathers. If
> plants can have 10-20 layers of beneficial microbes growing
> invisibly outside in the open air, why can't animals? Has anyone
> done this research?
>
> Could there be a benefit to routine spraying of livestock with
> aerated compost tea to keep an active culture of beneficial microbes
> on their hides, hair, wool, or feathers?
>
> David Hall
> San Antonio, TX

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: