[compost_tea] Re: Neamatoads

From: urbanworms <urbanworms_at_houston.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 21:08:00 -0000

Hi Elaine.

Re: Neamatoads

I'd love to increase the beneficial nematodes in my (vermi)compost
and thus
in my tea. If I add Steinernema or Heterorhabditus to my compost, how
would I
make them feel at home and willing to raise a big family? Should I
worry
about C:N ratio or temp or ph? Would the same environment encourage
predatory nematodes?

That's a lot of questions. Especially since you're about to head out.
How about
just a reference for a good nematode book that might have the answers?

Thanks.
John Gardner
Urban Worms Recycling

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, soilfoodweb_at_a... wrote:
> Hi Reece-
>
> There is no inoculum of predatory nematodes that you can buy on the
market. You can buy entomophagous nematodes, such as Steinernema or
Heterorhabditus, which go after root-grubs, soft-bodied insects, and
weevils.

> You can add these nematodes to your compost, and let them increase
in
numbers in the compost, and then extract into your tea. Nematodes do
not
grow in compost tea, since tea brews for a short time, and nematodes
require
very specific cues (generally seasonal, or kinds of prey present) in
order to
reproduce.

> Hope this helps!
>
> Elaine Ingham