[compost_tea] Here's an Internet book to add to your library

From: David Hall <dchall8_at_texas.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 12:49:59 -0600

I have an Internet gardening friend in Russia who is interested in compost
tea. This morning he sent me this link that he found on Steve Solomon's
Soil and Health website. The book is a 1958 publication by a soviet
microbiologist which I haven't read it yet (it's much like a textbook), but
I do know a little about the soviet efforts in microbial research. Just to
put the relevance of this work into some historical perspective, it is only
in retrospect that we in the West have come to discover the vast resources
that Lenin, Stalin, and Khrushchev put into microbiological research and
development, starting in the early 1920s. Without doing a literature
search, I would venture to say that this work out of Moscow in 1958 could be
30-50 years ahead of our understanding of soil microbes at that same time.
The depth and breadth of their efforts was exposed in the late 1970s by
their use of a previously unknown (to the West) category of biological
weapons in Cambodia. Part of the efficiency of these horrendous weapons was
that they were based on soil and plant surface microbes, and therefore,
expected to be found anywhere you looked. By the time it was safe to go in
and see what happened, the excessive levels had degraded and everything
looked normal to our relatively antiquated science.

With that in mind, this book seems to be about how to improve the way plants
and microbes interact in the soil.

David Hall
San Antonio, TX

SOIL MICROORGANISMS AND HIGHER PLANTS
Published by the Academy of Sciences of the USSR, Moscow 1958

Published for THE NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION, WASHINGTON, D.C. and THE
DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE, USA by THE ISRAEL PROGRAM FOR SCIENTIFIC
TRANSLATIONS, 1961

http://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010112Krasil/010112krasil.toc.html

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511