Re: [compost_tea] Here's an Internet book to add to your library

From: Jeff Lowenfels <jeff_at_gardener.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 10:59:20 -0900

David,

The article to which you refer is an interesting one full of references wor=
thy of following up on....ah, if only I could read Russian. One paragraph =
caught me:

" Peat, after processing with microorganisms, stimulated the growth of plan=
ts more markedly than did the uncomposted natural peat. On this basis, Bott=
omley prepared a special fertilizer--humogen. This preparation gave positiv=
e results under laboratory conditions as well as under field conditions. It=
 was patented and recommended for use in agriculture for various plants. Ac=
cording to the prescription in the patent, peptone was added to the peat to=
 enhance the growth and metabolism of microorganisms. For a more rapid deco=
mposition of the organic part of peat, Azotobacter, Rhizobium, and other ba=
cteria were added. The inoculated peat was kept at a temperature of 25° C=
 for 3-4 weeks. Afterward the preparation was ready for use. "

This is very much what we did when we activated Alaska Humus to grow fungi =
(and bacteria) in it before making tea only we start out with a composted p=
eat ie one that has tremendous amounts of beneficial organisms. I think bab=
y oatmeal works better than peptene...but then I don't suppose there was mu=
ch baby oatmeal around in the Soviet Era!

For those new to the list, in order to increase fungal numbers in your tea,=
 activate the compost you are going to use: a handful of baby oatmeal per =
handful of compost....put it in a container, lightly cover and place on a s=
eed germinating mat or other heat source (75-80 degrees). You should get l=
ong, white, santa fuzz---fungal strands, which will grow in your tea if you=
 have a good machine.

And, since it is Sunday, if you have problems getting "santa's beard-like f=
ungi" in your compost, you can always order a 50 pound box of Alaska Humus =
(www.alaskahumus.com). It isn't cheap, but it works every time! (5 pounds =
per 50 gallon brew)

Thanks for the website info, David!

Cheers,