Re: [compost_tea] Digest Number 597

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 22:28:15 -0800 (PST)

I think you've got the idea of organics about perfect, flies grow on the surface, rise to the animals. ACt on the surface probably feeds on the eggs and young of the fly group. On the animals flies might be repelled or find the surface less hospitable.
Short advantage If their propagation is interupted on the surface of the pasture - few flies. Few on the cattle ?? Bob

betsy <betsy_at_rossfarm.com> wrote:
About spraying livestock with compost tea:
We have found that if the livestock stay mainly on our 'biology' pastures,
they have fewer flies (lots fewer (<20> - usually if cattle have >200 you
figure it is economically viable to spray and reduce that number) - no, I
don't actually count them!

We have sprayed CT on these <20 flies group and the flies all but disappear
for a good 45-60 days.

We have also sprayed CT on some of our herds >200 flies that don't get to be
on our 'biology' pastures very much. This spraying helps for only a few days.

So, got good biology in pastures, got fewer flies to torment our steers. But
the message is, its a total package deal: healthy soil=healthy
plants=healthy animals = healthy people.

that's my two cents worth.

betsy
www.rossfarm.com
Granger, Texas

> Message: 12
> Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 21:08:15 EST
> From: soilfoodweb_at_aol.com
> Subject: Re: Re: Spraying livestock with compost tea??
>
> Betsy might be able to address some practical experience on this.
> We need more data (there speaks the academic scientist, I know!) on
> this before we can go recommending it to people. All results on
> skin microflora and compsot tea are anecdotal so far.
>
> People, just like plants, have layers of bacteria, a few fungi, and
> protozoa on their skin. We feed very particular sets of microbes
> with our exudates and select for our own "good guys". There are a
> couple books on this, and I'll try to track them for you if you want
> me to.
>
> Elaine
> President, Soil Foodweb Inc,
> 1128 NW 2nd ST., Suite 120
> Corvallis, Oregon
> Soil Foodweb Inc., Australia
> Soil Foodweb Inc., New York
> Soil Foodweb Inc., New Zealand
> Soil Foodweb Inc., The Netherlands
> Soil Foodweb Inc., Mexico
> Board Member, Sustainable Studies Institute, Eugene, OR
>
> "Hope is not a feeling. It is not the belief that things will turn
> out well, but the conviction that what we are doing makes sense, no
> matter how things turn out." -- Vaclav Havel, former President of
> the Czech Republic

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT