[compost_tea] RoundUp (glyphosphate) and soil microbes

From: David Hall <dchall8_at_texas.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 15:07:34 -0000

Is anyone following the general topic of the effectiveness of common
soil microbes in deactivating RoundUp (or vice versa)? Some of the
organic oriented websites are up in arms against the product based
solely on an article in a Danish newspaper which is translated here

http://www.commondreams.org/news2003/0515-03.htm

The gist of the article is that RoundUp is turning up in Danish
drinking water when everyone was told that the soil microbes would
deactivate it before it ever leeched down into the water.

Although I would never use RoundUp myself, I would like to figure
out what the truth is. I hate to see the folks getting so riled up
about something based only on a newspaper report. The kind of
reaction I'm seeing is exactly what lowers their credibility. Can
anyone point to any real research on the subject?

David Hall
San Antonio, TX

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511