[compost_tea] Re: CT on NOSB Agenda!

From: Steve Diver <steved_at_ncatark.uark.edu>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 21:19:43 -0000

Ted -

Nice reply, with experiential insight and lab
data to back up your viewpoint.

Everybody, keep testing your teas and
summarize the information so it can be
shared. Document the tea brewing parameters.

Pathogen risk reduction is the primary concern
of NOP. Science-based data is the primary
information for decision making. This can be
lab data, conference data, or journal data.

Steve Diver

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Ted Peterson" <ted.peterson_at_t...>
wrote:

> I took some manure and had it tested for pathogen content by our
local WWTP. It was way above EPA. Then I dumped it in a brewer and
added sugar, N,P,K and air. The temp was kept about 60 - 65 dF. Then
tested the tea. Guess what. Pathogens tested < .02 with is virtually
ND. All compost has the potential for pathogens. Even "green"
compost made without any animal products can still be a target for
malicious birds and bird poop is loaded with pathogens. Get some onto
or into your compost pile and presto, pathogens. I think the argument
about clean compost is a losing argument in the long run.

> I think our best approach to defeating the pathogen controversy is
to keep temps low and air high. This way we are never creating an
environment that pathogens like. If we start recommending brewing in
the 70+ dF range, we can be accused of promoting pathogens because
even the best, most highly oxygenated brewer has to have some places
where pathogens can grow. With the right temp, food and location,
they will grow as has been shown.

> We are now using tea brewed from composted biosolids to innoculate
newly composted biosolids and speeding the pathogen reduction and
composting process. I designed a brewer that keeps the compost in
suspension with lots of air. It's working great and the tea tested
pathogen content < .02.

> So? Structure our brewing methodology around an environment that
de-emphasizes pathogens at every level.

> Ted Peterson
> Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth

Yahoo! Groups Links