[compost_tea] NOP - how to proceed

From: chris reid <reidchris_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 22:27:24 -0500

Kirk Leonard said:

I have to believe good practices will out, but I can't assemble all the
data. I am convinced that NOSB believes biology works safely. Though a
somewhat mind boggling question (that it should be asked): How do we
convince NOP that biology is safe? Silly as that sounds, it seems necessary
to answer.

REPLY:
If data is what is needed, then what data sets could people be collecting?
What set of data could those who have done extensive lab testing contribute
to establish a body of information?

In other words, if people wanted to make a contribution of one or more tests
of their tea for E coli, could you Kirk or you and Elaine or others come up
with a form for people to use that would walk them through everything they
should track in order to have a respectable test? How would people both
test their tea for their own purposes and make a contribution to the USNOP
data bank project? A win-win is the goal.

Everyone collecting the same data points would give a basis for comparison,
and that would allow many people to make a little contribution toward the
same goal.

If the data is carefully collected, are there any suggested data points that
would help us sort out both what consistently works and what may be going
kaflooey when the pathogens multiply against expectation?

Careful data should not be collected to prove a preconceived point, it
should be collected and looked at open eyed for any clues as to what is the
general case, where does the data not fit the general case, and what can we
observe about it?

Maybe Paulette Mouchet could be convinced to volunteer to compile the data
(grin)??

Chris Reid

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511