Re: [compost_tea] Re: Giant Cabbage Weigh Off??

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 11:45:52 -0800

Hi_Yield:

You are making the wrong challenge. There are all kinds of was to get larg=
e vegetables. It doesn't mean they are tasty or contain any of the vitamin=
s and nutrients we need. Big Veggies are not necessarily a sign of healthy=
 plants or healthy soil, just big plants. What you should challenge, if yo=
u are in a mind to do so, is a comparison of the soils where the plants are=
 grown then lab breakdowns of the soil microbiology and the resultant trans=
ferance of the benefits of organic, compost tea methodology over the chemic=
al approach if indeed there is an advantage. Make the challenge a multi-ye=
ar challenge to see what is needed by both approaches each year to keep the=
 crops at the same level and which crops show higher as far as available nu=
trients. (The stuff that makes them valuable as a food source to us.)

Also, if you are willing to issue this type of challenge, try to find a sou=
rce of funding. You are, in effect, asking someone to spend a lot of money=
 to satisfy your curiosity. If satisfying you would actually accomplish so=
mething like get a grant for further research or win a cash prize or promot=
e the product when finished, the challenge might have some credibility. Yo=
u seem to have the knowledge and background so why don't you start some tes=
t plots with different management practices and see what the results are. =
I would be interested in seeing that.

You obviously have the ability to do it and you could post your results on =
the group. That way, it wouldn't appear that you are "shooting from the hi=
p" with many of your statements. I agree with a lot of what you imply but =
try to provide a way to resolve the problem. We can all sit around and sho=
ot criticism but if that criticism isn't backed up with something of substa=
nce, it has little weight. Soooooo. I challenge you to make a test of 4 p=
lots with the same veggies planted in the same way but managed differently.=
  Outline your test and monitor your results then post the outcome.

We are in the process of studying erosion control and the use of compost te=
a, compost tea and sugar, and just sugar in revitalizing slopes (up to 40%)=
 that have been burned or underwatered to the point that the bare earth sta=
rts sliding. We are assuming the sugars will feed the bacteria and soil fu=
ngi and make the ground more stable. All without starting a regrowth progr=
am.

So, you should try an experiment.

Ted Peterson
Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth