Muni greenwaste (was Re: [compost_tea] Re: do meter????)

From: tomjasz <tom_at_livesoil.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:26:00 -0000

> So, when used at home and the clippings stay in the ground,
supposedly, they breakdown in 60 - 90 days. This, of course, assumes
that the soil biology hasen't been decimated through over feeding and
salts and ??? But this is rarely the case. In Washington, I read
where muni greenwaste operations had been suspended totally or that
the public could not buy greenwaste from the operations or the
greenwaste had to go to the landfill or a combination of the above
depending on municipality.

> Clopyralid is toxic at 1ppb according to the UW report.
>
> Ted Peterson
> Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth

http://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/Clopyralid.htm

Depending on soil type and climate, clopyralid can persist up to 14
months in soil.
Sources: Pik, A.J. et al. 1977. Fate of 3,6-dichloropicolinic acid in
soils. J. Agric. Food Chem. 25:1054-1061.
Bovey, R.W. and C.W. Richardson. 1991. Dissipation of clopyralid and
picloram in soil and seep flow in the backlands of Texas. J. Environ.
Qual. 20:528-531.
Tanphiphat, K. and L.C. Burrill. 1987. Persistence of clopyralid in
soil. Proc. West. Soc. Weed Sci. 40:75.
Haderlie, L.C. and D.K. Harrington. 1988. Potato growth and symptoms
when grown in clopyralid soil residue. West. Soc. Weed Sci. Res.
Prog. Rep. Pp. 387-389

Yahoo! Groups Links