Re: [compost_tea] At what point will this group be moderated?

From: Gail Raby <graby_at_midsouth.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 11:29:36 -0600

As regards John Cowan's Post where he states as a "negative" that
moderation would be to used for, that being to " eliminate very basic
questions "............

I am concerned about this. First off, his definition of very basic
questions and mine my be different and without a more specific
deliniation or qualification of what that means, it could cover a lot of
territory. So my first concern is that it is too general a term.

Secondly, how ever will you educate the new and further the impetus
of the CT movement to broader and broader bases if basic questions
are eliminated or rejected. Basics are elemental but if you do not get
the elemental foundation, you certainly will not get what follows therefrom.

It is also possible the forum become ingrown
and limited in its appeal and scope. Also, from time to time its nice to
be reminded of basics. Sometimes with new information, people need to
hear it many times before it finally computes. And personally, I believe
that as those more accomplished and experience and knowledgeable answer to
newbies and their basic questions, it very much like payback for when they
were themselves newbies and learned from the more knowledgeable.

And, finally, the people coming to CT will be (or can be) from all walks
of life, from those credentialed/experienced in the biological sciences
or other sciences to those not so grounded, yet interested in ecological
and/or organic approaches to land and plant management and practices.

As the popularity of CT grows (and it seems to be going mainstream--this
evidenced by the adds for CT machines in seed mail order houses and the
soil-soup's venture to make its tea available through nurseries), then
more people will become acquainted with the subject yet have very little
understanding of the many principals, potentials, and problems involved.

To revolutonize the way we deal with our earth and change ideas from
domination to stewardship, from chemical everything (posioning) to a
more biological approach that works in concert with nature, CT (and all
other ecological ideologies and methodologies which are alternative to
the current chemical approach) must go mainstream and reach the masses.

It does not matter one whit if you have a better mouse trap if no one
knows about it. And it matters not one whit if they access it and don't
why to use it, or know how to use it (or use it wisely and well). Thats
where newbie/basic questions comes in.

I have worked in the nursery industry for ten years plus. I have dealt
with people at all levels -- from those where I used scientific names and
spoke to them using terms like screes and above the tree line, monocarpic.
ericaceous, and the like to those where I had to make
analogies to some area of knowledge they were familiar with. For an example
to explain organic versus chemical approaches, I would call one
fast food or like a diet of just meat and potatoes and call the
other a well balanced nourishing diet. Or with soil flora I would compare
it to the good guy bacteria versus the bad guy bacteria in the gut and
how organics was like eating yogurt to gets lots of good guy bacteria. Or
I would help them with memory joggers like "annuals are an annual chore
and perennials are perpetual pleasure."

I met them where they were and by doing this I turned a lot of people
on to better plant care, plant selection, and land care practices. Many
were really excited and shared this info with others.

Putting the shoe on the other foot, I remember what it was like to
just be overwelmed with info and terms and have no basic background
the day I decided to buy a compouter. Techno talk and all that stuff
and how to use it -- I was just floored and had no idea even what to buy
till I found an acquaintence that helped me by answering questions that
even the computer for dummies book thought were too basic. Even in the
area where many consider me "an expert" I am self taught and it was
hard going reading books and learning by making just every mistake there was
to make. Having a mentor to guide me when I got
stuck on something or even just a more experienced person I could
clarify things with would have been nice. Had I not been driven to
learn horticulture because of my love of and desire for plants (kept
alive and thriving and artistically well placed), I might have gotten
discouraged and given up. As for CT, many aspects still allude me.
I am about as mechanical as a grasshopper and still hoping to understand
some of the sprayer volume/pressure/works thingies.

The point here is that most all forums have the advanced/the cutting edge,
the middle ground, and the new and curious know nothing newbies. Lets not
turn any new and curious away -- this subject is too
important to Earth's survival as a viable planet and our survival as
healthy people to loose even one possible convert. The truth will set you
free--okay but if its too complicated or advanced, then lies and mis-info,
and dis-info and old wives tales and uninformed opinion will proliferate and
the soil-soup type "just buy it and use it no info needed or given" will win
the day.

I vote for leaving in basic questions

g.

Yahoo! Groups Links