Re: [compost_tea] Lawns

From: jim allAn <jallan6977_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 19:07:06 -0500

   I agree leaving the clippings is good. If one is only allowed to
mow once a week and if that mowing leaves very visible ridges of
clippings then the clippings need to be removed. In the case with my
lawn, I feel if I left the clippings they might do more damage than
good. We have a lot of weeds and removing the clippings also removes
some weed seed. I feel I am getting a great crop to harvest since it
is growing, the lawn, so vigorously. It never gets wasted as some
might do. I compost every scrap and use it to improve my vegetable
beds. I am thankful that this year I will be able to concentrate on
needed enlargement of my garden which will have great soil and
keeping the pesky weeds out:>) Hopefully I will find a way to get
and apply corn gluten meal to feed the lawn AND kill off the weeds.
I refuse to use chemicals anymore for that purpose. Maybe I can
leave the clippings and sneak in an extra pass the next day just to
scatter the ridges as they will be drier and tend to spread out
better.

On 21 Mar 2004 at 10:49, Jeff Lowenfels wrote:

> In addition to letting the grass grow a bit longer, leaving the
> clippings on the lawn when you do cut helps provide microbial fodder.
> Three inches is the recommended height here in Anchorage with removal
> of no more than 1 inch when mowing. We have also had good success
> adding soy bean meal at a rate of 4 pounds per 100 square feet in
> addition to leaving the clippings. This has resulted in "Miracle-Gro"
> like green lawns all over town.
>
> These practices, along with application of ACT at the start of the
> season with follow up application once a month (we only have a three
> month season) has greatly decreased "hard pan" soils.
>
> Cheers,
>
> jeff

Yahoo! Groups Links