Re: [compost_tea] Newbie Introduction

From: Stuart Baxter <stu.baxter_at_virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:00:51 -0000

Hi Rosie and welcome to the list :o)

This kit has recently been mentioned, and some concerns voiced about the am=
ount of air the pump can supply and the difficulty of cleaning the carboy a=
fter each brew, but no-one has tried it. Could you post the instructions/in=
formation/supplies that comes with it? I think it may be wise to use the te=
a as a soil drench only, and not a foliar feed, as you grow medicinal herbs=
. And add compost/vermicompost to your soil.

Brewing tea is simple, but it can easily go wrong too. Too much food and no=
t enough oxygen and the tea will go anaerobic (bad - smelly). Aerating a te=
a containing only compost will increase microbial content to an extent, bec=
ause they will munch on the food contained within the compost. Adding molas=
ses (or other foods) will accelerate the breeding and growing but you have =
to be sure of the oxygen for the whole brew cycle.

Be well

Stuart
UK