Re: Re:[compost_tea] Newbie Introduction

From: Sonshine <sonshine_at_houston.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 11:33:49 -0600

  Are your herbs perrenials or annuals?
  This generally determines the F:B ratio you will be attempting to encoura=
ge in your patio garden. Depending on plant species, we can can start to p=
in this down. This will have implications for your tea nutrients, wether y=
ou want simple sugars to select for more bacteria or more complex foods to =
feed fungi.
  In my experience, and I believe most would agree, bacteria have been easy=
 to grow, so most of the time we are attemping to grow fungi anyhow.
  Have you picked up a Tea Brewing Manual? It may not be in your library y=
et.
  Have lotsa fun~ Kev
  Thank you Kev for the welcome and that I can participate. Petals flutter=
ing in anticipation of learning to make the perfect tea for my green babies=
.

  My medicinals are both perrenials and annuals and some medicinal trees/sh=
rubs in pots. With our eco-system in Houston plus the pesticides and herbi=
cides in the open fields I dare not harvest anything other than I can grow =
and my little patio home is a challenge with so many types of medicinals I'=
m trying to cultivate.

  I don't want a growth enhancer, the herbs need to grow according to their=
 schedule, not mine and my objectives are to increase the friendly microbes=
 and provide the nutrients and eco-system for the plants to grow healthy. =

  Biggest issues I have are fungi and bugs eating the leaves. Keep in mind=
 I'm a good medical herbalist, growing I need to learn. I can make the me=
dicinal preparations, do consults ---- growing a healthy plant in my garden=
 is a challenge. First year I've been able to grow California Poppy. Mos=
tly what I see is a type of fungal growth on the leaves (white) and critter=
s eating the leaves. Even joined Urban Harvest in Houston last year, visit=
ed their garden and mine looked better than theirs. After some research, t=
hought the compost tea just might be my solution to the problem. I use mic=
rolife organic fertilizer, contains friendly microbes, the plants seem to l=
ike that and as I posted previously I do see a lot of fungal growth on top =
of the soil after each application. Also spray the plants with a kelp/sea e=
mulsion formula with a little mollasses added to it. And I have the mushr=
ooms in the grass and garden beds after the Summer rainfalls. Does that me=
an I need more friendly bacteria or perhaps more friendly fungi or a combin=
ation?

  Please suggest a title for the tea brewing book you referenced. And a so=
urce to purchase it if my library doesn't have it. Good idea to read first=
 before I post zillions of questions.

  Thanks so much,

  Rosie