Re: Re:[compost_tea] Newbie Introduction

From: kevin john richardon <kmagic_at_backpacker.com>
Date: 24 Mar 2004 17:48:11 -0000

go to soilfoodweb.com

you may be able to order online directly from them.

otherwise give them a call.

or I have one for you if you like.

~K
781 834 0474

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 11:33:49 -0600 Sonshine <sonshine_at_houston.rr.com> wrote:

  Are your herbs perrenials or annuals?
  This generally determines the F:B ratio you will be attempting to encourage in your patio garden. Depending on plant species, we can can start to pin this down. This will have implications for your tea nutrients, wether you want simple sugars to select for more bacteria or more complex foods to feed fungi.
  In my experience, and I believe most would agree, bacteria have been easy to grow, so most of the time we are attemping to grow fungi anyhow.
  Have you picked up a Tea Brewing Manual? It may not be in your library yet.
  Have lotsa fun~ Kev
  Thank you Kev for the welcome and that I can participate. Petals fluttering in anticipation of learning to make the perfect tea for my green babies.

  My medicinals are both perrenials and annuals and some medicinal trees/shrubs in pots. With our eco-system in Houston plus the pesticides and herbicides in the open fields I dare not harvest anything other than I can grow and my little patio home is a challenge with so many types of medicinals I'm trying to cultivate.

  I don't want a growth enhancer, the herbs need to grow according to their schedule, not mine and my objectives are to increase the friendly microbes and provide the nutrients and eco-system for the plants to grow healthy.

  Biggest issues I have are fungi and bugs eating the leaves. Keep in mind I'm a good medical herbalist, growing I need to learn. I can make the medicinal preparations, do consults ---- growing a healthy plant in my garden is a challenge. First year I've been able to grow California Poppy. Mostly what I see is a type of fungal growth on the leaves (white) and critters eating the leaves. Even joined Urban Harvest in Houston last year, visited their garden and mine looked better than theirs. After some research, thought the compost tea just might be my solution to the problem. I use microlife organic fertilizer, contains friendly microbes, the plants seem to like that and as I posted previously I do see a lot of fungal growth on top of the soil after each application. Also spray the plants with a kelp/sea emulsion formula with a little mollasses added to it. And I have the mushrooms in the grass and garden beds after the Summer rainfalls. Does that mean I need more
 friendly bacteria or perhaps more friendly fungi or a combination?

  Please suggest a title for the tea brewing book you referenced. And a source to purchase it if my library doesn't have it. Good idea to read first before I post zillions of questions.

  Thanks so much,

  Rosie

Kevin John Richardson
Local Solutions