Re: [compost_tea] "Micro" nematodes

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:37:36 -0700

From: soilfoodweb_at_aol.com
  To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 2:08 AM
  Subject: [compost_tea] "Micro" nematodes

  KA is giving the straight scoop. The "micro" nematodes are not micro-nem=
atodes (there is no such thing). The description is that of insect larvae,=
 and probably a sign that the "compost" was not in fact compost.

Elaine:

Well again, not enough explanation leads to misintrepretation. When I wrot=
e micronematodes, I was writing about worms that feed on bacteria/fungi and=
 are microscopic in size.

If I look in the Soil Biology Primer written by one Elaine R. Inghab, Orego=
n State University I see nematodes classified (partly) under pathogenic bac=
teria and fungi and parisitic nematodes with microarthropods as to function=
. When I look at the Glossary, I see the description of nematodes -- "Tiny=
, usually microscoic, unsegmented worms. . ." So microarthropod and nemato=
de. . . Ok, the nematodes must be micro too.

So I took nematode and microscopic and put them together. Micronematodes f=
eed on bacteria/fungi and can only be seen with a microscope. They are clas=
sified as microbivorous. I don't see the problem except that it isn't corr=
ect classification per se. I will desist using the term if it is bothersom=
e. I thought it convenient to discern micro-worms from things like flat-wo=
rms and earthworms and such.

The ones I have seen are indeed microscopic in size. They can't be seen wi=
th the naked eye and usually do not appear in any brew until I have been br=
ewing for at least 48 hours. Maybe the eggs hatch due to the O2, I just do=
n't know. I have seen them in compost when I have sampled mature compost t=
hat has been around for a while and I have seen them in compost bought from=
 a store. I never have seen them in young compost.

As to origin, I never gave it too much thought other than to figure out whe=
re they fit in soil ecology. In other words, was this something I should s=
ee in my tea if I was brewing for soil soak or to inoculate my compost over=
 applying the tea as a foliar food? Was this something I needed in my soil=
?

Nematodes are part of a healthy soil ecology so my thinking is that if I am=
 brewing to revitalize decimated soil, I need to brew for different troposp=
heres where I can. For example, my brew times are shorer and my food less =
complex if I am foliar applying. If I am soil soaking, I shoot for higher =
level biology other than the simple or primitives. So I brew longer. Thes=
e longer brews where I cycly my O2 is where these nematodes appear and only=
 when I use mature compost.

Anyway, that's my take on the non-existant micronematode.

I just brewed 90 gallons in 3 30 gallon brewers and in one of the brewers, =
I put a bunch of rotting oat hay. I brewed this for 24 hours and tested ev=
ery hour during the day and evening. Evening, huge biomass, no nematodes. =
 Next morning, nematodes smaller biomass. Usually, these nematodes pass ex=
traction and they did this time also. (Yes, I tested.)

Ted Peterson
EW/SOE