Re: [compost_tea] "Micro" nematodes

From: Mike Harvey <mharvey_at_westnet.com.au>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 21:07:32 +0800
Elaine,
re nematodes.
We need to inoculate a strawberry field with beneficial Nematodes. I am
planning to extract the nematodes from a compost with beneficial Nematodes
(finally found some here in Western Australia!!). We will then put this
through an irrigation system, pump pressures similar to most pumping
situations. it will then go through a drip irrigation system. Is this likely
to be successful?? Any special considerations?
We have done SFI testing on similar treated  strawberry fields last year- it
showed some fungal/root  feeding Nematodes after treatment with the gas and
we are expecting similar issues this year.
Any experience others have doing this kind of thing they may like to share.
The soil has been gassed and time will be given for the toxic materials to
dissipate before inoculation.

Is there any one out there in Australia with inoculums of Predatory
Nematodes???  Surely we do not have to import them from USA??
I have spoken a while ago to SFI Lismore about these Predatory Nematodes and
they were working on finding some, any leads yet Elaine??

Regards Mike Harvey
New Life Soils.
E-mail mharvey_at_westnet.com.au
www.composttea.com.au

"God is the basis of life, life is the basis of energy,
energy is the basis of matter." Carey Reams

----

> A nematode life cycle is a week to a year long.  So, nematodes will not
reproduce in compost tea.  They don't like being swirled either, so
disturbance associated with making tea will keep them from reproducing.

> Nematodes need to be grown in your compost, and again, the beneficials
grow in aerobic conditions, the root-feeders like reduced oxygen.  Keep the
compost aerobic!!!!

> Elaine Ingham

Yahoo! Groups Links