[compost_tea] Re: "Micro" nematodes

From: tomjasz <tom_at_livesoil.com>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 20:18:54 -0000
APC or AH is not always consistent in its biology. However as Elaine
points out it CAN be used as a base from which to build. In
retrospect I would have preferred to have used more complete compost
but often it is difficult to find adequate compost. Using AH or APC
for worm food seems a waste of time and money. Worms won't magically
add the components AH is missing. Best quality vermicompost seems to
come from quality finished compost. Vermicompost derived from food
scraps didn't seem to be as diverse as that derived from quality
composted manures. Orner Farms in PA sells a fantastic vermi suited
to producing very high quality tea.

Support sustainable farming and find an American family farmer
vermicompost producer to provide tea source materials.

I don't sell it and am an end user. Call or preferably send an email
for more information and resource.

Tom Jaszewski
702-595-7012
tom_at_livesoil.com

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "compost160" <compost160@y...>
wrote:
> After reading this post would it be safe to say that compost tea
> products made-mined from the far north or far southern reaches would
> not be as effective to those of us in the middle, geographically
> speaking? Non native species don't do well away from home? Climate,
> soil type, geographical location and native species deterimne
> effectiveness of product?
>
> --- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, soilfoodweb@a... wrote:
> > Hi Mike -
> >
> > the beneficial nematodes should be able to take the pressure just
> fine.  The  concern would be opening sizes on the drip nozzles.
what
> is the opening size?  We need them to be in the range of 400
> micrometers, or larger, so the big good guys can get through.
> >
> > Buying the predatory nematodes from the US doesn't make any sense,
> since the sub-species you have in OZ are adapted to your soil types,
> and climates.  We do not have the same conditions in the US, so
> US-imports don't survive well in your conditions.
> >
> > The exception is the conditions that you describe - where the soil
> has been fumigated.  There is no decent life left in that soil, so
> addition of ANY kind of beneficials, OZ-adapted or not - will help
> immensely.
> >
> > But, for long term survival, you want OZ-critters.  So, keep
looking
> for that compost made in OZ that has the predatory nematodes
present.

> > Otherwise, stockpile some compost, and add predatory nematodes
that
> you extract (you may want  to talk to the Lismore lab and get them
> save the predatory nematodes they find from all over OZ for you),
into
> that stockpile.  They should grow and increase in numbers, but it
will
> take 6 months to a year for that to happen.  They are slow-growers.
> >
> > Hope this helps!
> >
> > --
> > Elaine Ingham
> > President, Soil Foodweb Inc.