Re: [compost_tea] feeding worms

From: T Dodge <tdodge_at_spiritone.com>
Date: 2 May 2004 21:01:08 -0700

Greetings Ms O'Brien & Mr. Norsen

I have recently tested my worm compost and the Hyphael diameter was
2.75 for the fungi. I made a tea with this compost after doing a pre
inoculation with oat flour of three days. It was kept damp and on a
propagation mat with a thermostat set and adjusted for 80F. I had a
cover of clear plastic (domed variety) over the propagation tray. The
tea was tested, the report for fungi reveled a diameter of 3.0.

The worm compost was originally largely green kitchen waste shredded
and straw from protozoa water with paper hand shredded in on occasion
for a little layer diversity. A portion of each previous brew is also
returned to the compost enclosure so things are stimulated. It is to be =

noted that a lot of other composts have been used by me historically
and there dregs have all been added after brewing to the worm bins ( I
have two ) so my diversity is just not from "my own worms". Sources for =

compost (thermal, worm) have been NW Greenland (McMinville, Oregon),
Alaska Humas (your know who), Mark Sturges (Bandon, Oregon). I think
there is a lot of diversity creeping about my bins.

Terence