Re: [compost_tea] (unknown)

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 09:52:51 -0700

piccarla:

Here is my experience based on a city park. When we started the project in=
 the park there was dense, compacted soil will low penetration rates and no=
 signs of worm or even insects. The park had been maintained with organic =
and chemical fertilizers for over seven years and was in pretty bad shape. =
 This was one of the reasons we got the contract.

I brewed and applied all the tea and had the park people restrict watering =
to my schedule and stop all feeding and regular fertilizer maintenance. An=
 injector system was built into the park irrigation system and the tea was =
administered through the irrigation and distibuted to the turf through the =
sprinkler heads.

Park health improved overall. We applied once a week for the first two mon=
ths (8-applications) then didn't apply any for the next month then once per=
 month after that. When I cam back and took soil samples before new applic=
ations (3rd month) I found worm activity in places where there had been non=
e before. The plant roots were deeper and fuller and the soil more porous.=
  All in all, it appeared that the tea worked to reestablish the soil food =
web and allow worms to either move back into the soil or worm eggs that had=
 been laid at sometime in the past hatched and the worms repopulated the ar=
ea. I'm not a worm expert so I don't really know how the whole operation w=
orks other than those composting worms (Red Tigers) which I do raise in bin=
s. I think earthworms are somewhat similar but will have to find out to be=
 sure.

Now for the short answer: It worked when I did it. The above gives the pa=
rameters I used. Maybe others have methodologies that are similar or diffe=
rent. However, you are going to have to establish a program where you use =
tea to restablish the bacterial base then keep adding as the soil food web =
becomes established and higher order bacteria and protozoa start getting in=
volved until finally earthworms.

You may want to consider adding micorrhiza if you are trying to restablish =
turf. Micorrhiza need roots to vector to after they sprout. So they don't=
 work in bare soil BEFORE planting and seed germination. Do not brew them =
in your tea! If you use them, you need to aerate the soil then apply the m=
icorrhiza or apply micorrhiza when you seed. Do this after you have treate=
d the soil with tea a few times. There is a bunch of information about the=
se benifical fungi and you can buy them from numerous sources. Contact me =
if you are interested in some sources. Someone on the list published an art=
icle showing how you could grow your own. If you are getting soil ready fo=
r vegetables or row planting, micorrhiza may be helpful but check with the =
crop you are planting. Tea help all crops and in my experience helps reest=
ablish worms in worm depleted soil.

Ted Peterson
EW/SOE