Re: [compost_tea] Chlorine, bacterial resistance to

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 09:56:15 -0400
It would be very interesting to look into what beneficial soil biology develops resistance to chlorine, but I have a feeling that since it is relatively easy to exit chlorine from water. Typically if you allow the drops to fly through the air before they hit the ground the chlorine will de-gas adequately, which means sprinklers work.

Chlroamine is the bigger problem, since it does not de-gas.  But still, addition of decent organic matter in some form works well.  Add fish hydrolysate, or emulsion, or humus, or humic acid, or kelp, or.... well, the list is endless.  All organic matter will complex things like chloramine.  You just have to know how much you need to add.  A few tests of your tea to determine what dose is needed and you are on your way.  Maybe that's what you and I could work out for other folks - how much of each material gets rid of the toxic effect of chloramine.

Would the EPA be interested in such a research project, do you think?

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Port Jefferson, NY