Re: [compost_tea] Chlorine, bacterial resistance to

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 09:04:24 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: soilfoodweb_at_aol.com
  To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 6:56 AM
  Subject: Re: [compost_tea] Chlorine, bacterial resistance to

  Chlroamine is the bigger problem, since it does not de-gas. But still, a=
ddition of decent organic matter in some form works well. Add fish hydroly=
sate, or emulsion, or humus, or humic acid, or kelp, or.... well, the list =
is endless. All organic matter will complex things like chloramine.

  Would the EPA be interested in such a research project, do you think? =

There is 18B of EPA money out there for research on biosolids handling and =
I am writing grants to get some of that money spent in Kansas. There may b=
e a way to get some money through the safe water act. Mabye an examination=
 of the different types of irrigation distribution systems as they relate t=
o chemical dilution in water or mabye from the FDA if it could be shown tha=
t ACT helps to revitalize soil that is damaged from chemical input. FDA mo=
ney seems to be going towards the antibacterial branch of research; how to =
get rid of the critters so I don't think there's any heat there.

The chloramine tests I use show that it does dissipate with aeration and th=
e person I know who works with state water also indicated that it does. I'=
m not 100% sure but I think chloramine is more stable under certain circums=
tances. I was initially told that you needed chemical additives like those=
 used in the tropical fish industry to treat water with chloramine. I soon=
 discovered that this information was put out by the people who make De-Chl=
or so I doubt as to its total reliability.

I think that chloramine is a form or chlorine that is harmless to plants be=
cause it can't be directly absorbed. Nobody ever figured that harm to bact=
eria might also harm plants in some way. It's one of things like tooth and=
 gum problems: it happens at such a slow rate that by the time you figure o=
ut theres a problems, it's too late.

So I will try adding small amount of humic acid for a specif volume of wate=
r and aerating for 30 min, 1 H (doubling) and so on until I get a drop in t=
he test. If I get it with the first test, I will work backword 30, 15, 7 =
minutes (halving) until I get a positive. The tests are quite simple and u=
sed in the pool industry all the time. The are inexpensive and, according =
to the lab I use, work perfectly. After all, it's only chemistry and that =
stuff is more sure than biology.

You know, as far as water is concerned I am more worried about endocrine di=
sruptors than chlorine. We can get test for chlorine and other chemicals b=
ut there are no hormonal tests available and even WWTPs don't test for disr=
uptors.

Ted Peterson
EW/SOE