Re: [compost_tea] Re: pre-activation results

From: Margaret Lauterbach <melauter_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 13:59:19 -0600
Do you mean you just dump the compost into the brewer?  I've been using
bags from Simplici-Tea, and cutting open the bags and tossing the
fabric.  Contents go on compost pile.

>Free Suspension:
>
>Clean
>Maintenance free
>Can contribute to anaerobic conditions if your aeration isn't adequate.
>Are easy to clean.
>
>The only drawback with free suspension is that you have to filter the tea
>after you brew.  Depending on how you do this, you could restrict the
>amount of fungi, protozoa and nematodes that get applied.  I have tried
>gravity extraction and I use an extraction pump (Wayne models) and tested
>my fungal and protozoa counts before and after extraction.  After the
>counts were slightly less but I don't think the amount was significant
>enough to make the system unusable.  I would extimate a 10 to 15%
>reduction in higher level critters.  Biomass seemed about the same density
>but in smaller clumps.  I tests with a 1000 x Spencer Microscope.
>
>Ted Peterson
>EW/SOE
>Are messy.

Margaret L
Gardening in Intermountain West and Handicapped gardening
http://www.margaretlauterbach.com

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links