Re: [compost_tea] Hay question...

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 21:11:24 -0400
Hi Perry -

You wrote:
> Question:
> What about spoiled hay that was rained on. Lots of mould... is it still okay to mulch or will it upset the balance?

That mold can be a problem, as it could be a disease fungus.  Any observation on "fuzzy-wuzzy-ness"?  Color?  Smell?

Mildew has a distinctive smell, color and fuzzy-ness.  If present, you need to compost the spoiled hay before using around any plant.

You need to take a bio-dynamic hands-on training course where they will teach you what the smells are and what they mean.

Perry wrote:
We use a Brillion seeder that scatters seed so plants are everywhere with no need for herbicides. We use compost at planting at 2.5 tons/acre and same at each harvest or at the beginning of a grazing rest and have little weevil damage (we
> do plant weevil resistant variety).

Thank you for the real world example, Perry.  Very useful.

Add a few Steinernema into your next compost.  This nematode is available at most garden stores, or through Gardens Alive, or Peaceful Valley Farm Supply.  Thye like moist soil, so the compost you are adding each fall and spring will make sure that they will survive!  Those nematodes take out most soil weevils at the larval stage.

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Port Jefferson, NY