[compost_tea] Hay question...

From: Chuck Lund <north32nd_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 17:30:34 -0700 (PDT)

When referring to hay as a source of protozoa, what is the crown? Is it the top part with seeds or the bottom part near the ground?

Also, any idea if it matters whether the hay is green (freshly cut from the field) or dried (bailed)?

One more; I've been using alfalfa as a mulch in places and find it works quite well in maintaining moisture and bringing up earth worms. But so far, I've found no resource for organic alfalfa. Any knowledge on what typically may be sprayed on alfalfa and if it would be an organic concern if used on vegetable beds? I'm in the sometimes rainy Northwest and like to get a layer of mulch on the garden immediately after harvest and before a Winter cover crop gets going...

Chuck Lund