Re: [compost_tea] Re: Searching This Group?

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 13:15:13 -0400
Ted wrote:

> To me there is contradicting data.  There is SFI data then there is stuff from the bac/fung group that talks about the
> types of stuff that grows on flours and grains.

Consider what the bact/fungal group are likely considering when they think about flours and grains.  They are considering conditions where the microbial community has been limited severely by the conditions imposed.

Stored flour and grain are in conditions that are very limited by dryness, possibly with additives to prevent any available moisture.  Dust particles are loaded with spores of the fungi that cause seed-diseases.

These conditions set the stage for the growth of a particular set of fungi.  Some people call these fungi molds.  One of the kinds of fungi that grow in these conditions are the ergot fungi.  Alternaria, Aspergillus and related species are another set of fungi common in this enviroment, as I recall.  Rusts, smuts and yeasts can be a problem too.

When we add protein containing meal to GOOD compost, however, which should have the wide diversity of species that good compost should have, the conditions are NOT present for the growth of the bad fungi I mentioned above.  Typically, ergot fungi, rusts or smuts can't even be isolated from decent compost.

Your bact/fungi group are probably un-aware of what is meant by good compost, properly made compost.  Their experience is with stinky, smelly, putrefying organic matter, not with compost.

Check it out, and see if that's not what they think of when they consider compost.

There's been some bad press out there!

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR