Re: [compost_tea] Hay question.../Nematodes

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 12:24:49 -0400
In a message dated 5/17/2004 7:22:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time, addy_at_arczip.com writes:
HI Perry -

> If added to compost during mesophlic (cool) stage, will these nematodes multiply while in the pile? Would it be a good idea to give them a while in the pile before application of compost or making tea? What is the best time to inoculate a pile?

Mark Sturges maintains his Steinernema in his worm compost bins.

Adiditon to thermal compost should be after the pile has cooled to about 100 F.  And once added, do not turn the pile again.  Nematodes do not like disturbance.  They will only reproduce once every so many heat units.  In the summer, this means they can, if moisture is maintained, reproduce (hum, memory, don't fail me now) every 30 days.  Once temperature drops below 65 F, their reproduction falls off considerably,
and there may be only one reproductive event through the winter.  Q10 effects apply.

> Is it possible to identify these specific nematodes during
> testing or does the test show good and/or bad nematodes?

Yes, to both.  SFI will ID to genus, and we will point out Steinernema, if present.

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Port Jefferson, NY