Re: [compost_tea] Bacterial mulch and fungal mulch

From: Margaret Lauterbach <melauter_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 10:27:17 -0600
Where do you get your molasses, and what form does it come in?  Pancake
molasses looks like it would take forever to dissolve.  BTW, they were
growing giant cabbages in Alaska long before ACT bobbed up.

>I think straw actually encourages bacteria in compost, if I am not
>mistaken...and someone will surely correct me if I am!  It has lots of
>sugars in it because it is harvested 'green' and it should have lots of
>protozoa in it to help recycle the nutrients in the bodies of the
>bacteria. Seems like you would have a great system if you used a good
>bacterial tea on it.  You make that with unsulphured molasses as a
>nutrient, no need for kelp. We use this here in Alaska, home of the Giant
>cabbages, kohlrabi etc, so I know it works!
>
>Cheers, and thanks for not lurking!
>
>Jeff

Margaret L
Gardening in Intermountain West and Handicapped gardening
http://www.margaretlauterbach.com

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links