Re: [compost_tea] Tea and endophyte toxicity

From: Perry Clutts <addy_at_arczip.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 10:24:08 -0400

ML wrote>>> Is there something that is toxic to endophytes If the latter,=
 fescue containing
endophytes was planted in the wrong location.

It's endophyte toxicity to grazing animals. They don't like to eat it in th=
e summertime and if they do it can make them sick. Kentucky 31 has it and =
there is a lot of it out there... planted or invaded. I understand that it =
is a fungus that helps the plant survive.... found out when they were able =
to remove the endophyte , the plants could not survive the winter. There is=
 an endophyte "friendly" variety available (MaxQ) but it is very expensive=
 and I don't think it would be for sure that other varieties wouldn't cross=
 back into the sward. There are ways to minimize this such as planting othe=
r grasses and legume species, but I was just wondering if compost tea might=
 have an effect....

Perry