Re: [compost_tea] Tea and endophyte toxicity

From: Margaret Lauterbach <melauter_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 10:51:01 -0600
Lawn grasses with endophytes are treasured here in SW Idaho.  Folks are
warned against using that type of grasses for grazing animals.  i think the
endophyte effect fades in time.

>It's endophyte toxicity to grazing animals. They don't like to eat it in
>the summertime and if they do it can make them sick.  Kentucky 31 has it
>and there is a lot of it out there... planted or invaded. I understand
>that it is a fungus that helps the plant survive.... found out when they
>were able to remove the endophyte , the plants could not survive the
>winter. There is an endophyte "friendly" variety available (MaxQ) but it
>is very expensive and I don't think it would be for sure that other
>varieties wouldn't cross back into the sward. There are ways to minimize
>this such as planting other grasses and legume species, but I was just
>wondering if compost tea might have an effect....
>
>Perry

Margaret L
Gardening in Intermountain West and Handicapped gardening
http://www.margaretlauterbach.com

Yahoo! Groups Links