Re: [compost_tea] Brewer types,fish oil and DE

From: Mike Harvey <mharvey_at_westnet.com.au>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 09:56:29 +0800
6% is far to high for normal aeration systems. You need about 3 or 4 or more
times your normal system to keep up. A lower operating temp makes a big
difference too.This relates to a thread a while back where very high fungal
numbers are achieved and Elaine was commenting on it - the details escape me
for now. The principle is that high rates of molasses causes a osmotic
differential that the bacteria can not cope with as easily as the fungi,
thus the fungi are able to grow in the presence of  bacteria. Elaine spoke
on this about 6 months or a year ago?
It is clear to me that the nose is a great tool there was a definate change
in the smell of the ACT- it was a fungal smell that developed towards the
end of the brew time.
regards Mike Harvey.