Re: [compost_tea] New Brewer with Question

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 14:44:46 -0700

Hi:

You are using about 2G compost for 4.5G or less of water. You don't need a=
nywhere near this amount of compost. For a 5g container, I use about 1 to =
1.5 qt. Don't know how much aeration you are getting because you didn't de=
scribe the capacity of the pump. If it is a small pump, you may not be get=
ting enough air. I wouldn't use a pump smaller than .4 CFPM which is a lar=
ger aquarium pump. If you are using smaller pumps, you may want to use a 2=
G bucket and a couple of cups od compost.

Foam is curious. I have had tea foam an incredible amount and tea brewed e=
xactly the same using the same compost and the same inputs give very little=
 foam. I think it may be a carbohydrate action or the level of humic acid.=
  I haven't really figured this out yet. When I look at biomass from both =
samples, though, I see roughly the same level of growth.

Thirty-six hours is getting a little on the long side for brewing. Dependi=
ng on your aeration, you are getting to the point where anaerobes are going=
 to kick in. There is also the situation of how much food you have for the=
 bacteria you are growing. I am not going to get into fungi here because I=
 don't think your commercial compost has much fungi that can be useful to w=
hat you are doing.

Remember that simply putting compost in water and straining the water off i=
n an hour os more will get bacterial multiples. You added air so your mult=
iples will be higher. At 36 hours some of your bacteria have gone to sleep=
. Don't fret because unless they are digested by anaerobes, they will wake=
 up and work in your soil on on your plant when you apply the tea.

The bottom line is that you have been successful but I would recommend that=
 you pick up a copy of The Compost Tea Brewing Manual at www.soilfoodweb.co=
m and get some additional information. You can also check out my site at w=
ww.earth-wise.com where I have some free recipes and other information. Th=
e manual is full of good information.

Your temps are your temps. Water in a 5g bucket heats up pretty fast but p=
robably does not get up to the ambient temperature unless you have it sitti=
ng in the sun. Brewing at higher temperatures can promote more pathogen gr=
owth. So you should watch how long you brew and make sure you get enough a=
ir. Pathogens don't like air and they don't like it cold.

Anyway, I would get the tea on (apply it) as soon as you can. Then you can=
 brew another batch.

I posted a way to jumpstart your compost about two weeks ago. Check it out=
. You can use your commercial compost and add local stuff from your area t=
o it to get local bacteria and fungi into the compost before you brew.

Have fun and get into experimentation. It's a gas.

Ted Peterson
EW/SOE