Re: [compost_tea] New Brewer with Question

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 15:25:12 -0700 (PDT)

I doubt the advisability of getting involved. Honest responce: You are inventing the wheel again without first looking at the wheels in motion.
5 airstones in the compost bag? A bag of compost that half fills the 5 gallon pail?

In an effective system 5 gallons needs about a pint to a quart of compost. That leaves some room in the bucket for TEA. Your biggest challenge is to aerate and circulate the water after the microbes enter the water. Do you have a way of getting the microbes from the compost to the water? It you stir the TEA when you get home from work how does that fit with knowing that while brewing TEA the microbes require constant DO2 or they become subject to attact by anarobes? Air is in the bag. Is there also air in the water ? Your air will stir the water if you use it right and have enough air togive the microbes enough DO2. .

36 hours? Good brewing schedules run from 12 to 24 hours. Longer is acceptable only with on going air and nutrient management.

I suspect one of the reasons the regulators are reluctant to approve ACT is that the means of producing ACT, if not done following some science, the results can be hazardous to the users. And of course hazardouse to shoppers & families. Approval can involve agency liability for approval of a product that can be made improperly with adverse results. Inspection and assurance of good manufactureing practice is hardly possible. .

Let me commend you on making the effort to develop your own tea makingt system and the courage to ask questions about what you are doing. Don't be discouraged by my critical message. But do learn enough about the process needed to make a safe and effective result. I costs no more to use good methods. If your results are not good you will be discouraged and vacate the organic move. Don't do that. We need you and every other person who is inspired to enter the organic 'world' If you would like to discuss your project with me please address off list to bob_at_bnrew.com I promise to help you do YOUR thing, not to sell mine. Bob

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT