Re: [compost_tea] Re: Re: Aged manure?

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 13:21:38 EDT

So my question is

biosolids = sewerage solids (yes /no)
biosolids do not equal putrescible waste (yes /no)

This is part of the definition problem. People use the term biosolids to
cover quite a few situations.

Biosolids are the solid part of human manure after the initial sewage
treatment has been performed.

So - how many different ways of doing the initial seawge treatment process?
At least a couple, that I know of, just to begin. Activated charcoal beds,
trickling filter beds, anaerobic digestion chambers, aerated ponds - all
different ways of handling sewage.

Each method results in different kinds of processed waste material.

Does the seawge treatment plant separate industrial effluent from residential
seawge? Offices? That is critical. If industrial waste was allowed in,
don't even think about using those biosolids. The heavy metal problem is a
killer.

If the biolsolid material is from residential or office areas, then most
likely it could be processed into good compost.

So, definitions are required, and we need to use the same words to describe
things.

Elaine R. Ingham
Soil Foodweb Inc., Corvallis, Oregon
Soil Foodweb Inc., Port Jefferson, New York
Soil Foodweb Institute, Lismore Australia
Soil Foodweb Institue Cambridge, New Zealand
Soil Foodweb Inc., Hilversum, The Netherlands
Laboratorios de Soil Foodweb, Culiacan, Mexico
Soil Foodweb Inc., Jerome, Idaho