Re: [compost_tea] Re: Re: Aged manure?

From: Lloyd Charles <lcharles_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:40:53 +1000

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: soilfoodweb_at_aol.com
  To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 3:21 AM
  Subject: Re: [compost_tea] Re: Re: Aged manure?

  So my question is

  biosolids = sewerage solids (yes /no)
  biosolids do not equal putrescible waste (yes /no)

  This is part of the definition problem. People use the term biosolids to=
 cover quite a few situations.

  Biosolids are the solid part of human manure after the initial sewage tre=
atment has been performed.

  *thanks -looks like I got that bit right

  So - how many different ways of doing the initial seawge treatment proces=
s? At least a couple, that I know of, just to begin. Activated charcoal b=
eds, trickling filter beds, anaerobic digestion chambers, aerated ponds - a=
ll different ways of handling sewage.

  Each method results in different kinds of processed waste material.

  Does the seawge treatment plant separate industrial effluent from residen=
tial seawge? Offices? That is critical. If industrial waste was allowed =
in, don't even think about using those biosolids. The heavy metal problem =
is a killer.

  If the biolsolid material is from residential or office areas, then most =
likely it could be processed into good compost.

  * u r more trusting than me! - I have seen what the average residential/w=
eekend yobbo puts down the toilet, sump oil, paint *thinner, leftover chemi=
cals u name it - it gets in there - still highly suspect I think!

  *Sydney dries the stuff, mixes it with lime, (probably kiln dust) and giv=
es it away to farmers - on a u-haul basis - with strict limits *on the amou=
nt to be applied per acre and nil allowed within the catchment basin for Sy=
dney water - maybe that tells us *something?

  So, definitions are required, and we need to use the same words to descri=
be things.
  I agree!
  Cheers
  Lloyd Charles