Re: [compost_tea] L.Bacillus sp

From: Lloyd Charles <lcharles_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:08:57 +1000

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Thomas Giannou
  To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 9:03 AM
  Subject: [compost_tea] L.Bacillus sp

  Elaine,

  I think you will find the L.bacillus and other probiotic bacteria are fac=
ulative and will live in aerobic or anaerobic conditions. At least that is=
 the claim of one of my suppliers. This is one of the component bacteria g=
roups I add to our microbe tea brewing kit ingredients. I looked up each b=
acteria species and they all break down organic materials in the soils. I =
ran a test or two by forcing the tea to go anaerobic and it had no detrimen=
tal effect upon the plants... young seedlings and roses that I treated. Th=
e plants actually did quite well after the tea was applied.

  --Thomas Giannou

  Hello Thomas.
                  Some of us in Aus have been working with these semi anear=
obic brews for several years - before the publicity splurge on ACT and EM h=
it our shores in fact -
  from my limited and very unscientific work several points
  * a much slower process, taking 10 days or so to complete
  * much more difficult to get a good brew
  * in the field , used as a foliar we have gotten far superior results com=
pared to ACT
  * much lower application rates - 2 to 4 litres per hectare
  * we have successfully mixed with many herbicides at reduced rates, which=
 is a major plus in the transition phase
  * able to store in closed containers for up to a month without ill effect
  * suits us as a base for foliar sprays in a broadacre cropping situation =
where time and cost constraints for spraying are very limiting - if everyth=
ing goes right to schedule we will get three in crop sprays done - more lik=
ely only two.
  *these are 'clean' brews - no fungi I guess - we can put them through our=
 normal boomspray nozzles.

  ## this is a totally different process than aerobic tea - we provide lim=
ited aeration and limited stirring - once a day for a few minutes - the cri=
tters involved are different - the brew bubbles - giving off CO2 (I guess) =
-

  ### If you cut off the air supply from ACT you quickly get a dead stinky=
 mess (most times anyway) that has no resemblance to any of the above or to=
 EM. I think its a bit dangerous to be talking about 'forcing the brew to =
go anearobic' then using it - I reckon you got lucky if there were no ill =
effects - either that or you know vastly more about brewing than you are te=
lling here.

  ## for home gardening or intensive cropping (fruit and vegetables etc) -=
 where the number of field trips is not a problem then the ACT process is g=
oing to be much easier to get results with but its two distinctly different=
 brewing systems, I dont see much room for crossover.

  ## Elaine might like to comment on what would happen to the yoghurt type =
organisms under full aeration?
  Cheers
  Lloyd Charles