Re: [compost_tea] ACT for wheat and oats

From: Lloyd Charles <lcharles_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:50:08 +1000

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: L Blair
  To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, June 18, 2004 2:38 PM
  Subject: Re: [compost_tea] ACT for wheat and oats

  I'm interested in what typical good Brix readings are for cereals such as
  wheat and barley, and at what stages. For example, at 10days.

  Hello Lynton
              Young crops - three leaf stage - will get up around 15 withou=
t moisture stress - however if our season is really firing - better than ad=
equate moisture and good growing conditions we manage around 9-10 brix in t=
he leaf, mid afternoon, the guy down the road with urea boosting things wil=
l be sitting around 5-6, - if everything goes in his favour he will get mor=
e grain + 20 to 25 % (most of which goes in the extra fertiliser costs) - h=
e also is much more likely to get hit with frost damage, he often wonders h=
ow come we dont have a problem with excessive small grain in our sample. In=
 the end he probably wins the money race but not by very much.
          The way I measure things a 12 brix wheat crop under ideal growing=
 conditions would truly be a joy to behold, and would make serious profit f=
or the owner.

  When I grow barley (for juicing) it seems to sit at about 4.0; its never
  been higher.

  I'm thinking that ACT would be good for it.

  You are growing sprouted barley for juicing? Try some tea in the feed sol=
ution.
  Have you considered mineral fortified seed dressing? Or a good biological=
 seed treatment - you need the trace elements in the seed. Also get the be=
st quality, mineral dense seed, we have seen seedling vigour increase by he=
aps after three generations of biologically grown crops.
  Cheers
  Lloyd Charles