RE: [compost_tea] ACT for wheat and oats

From: John Cowan <vivax_at_northlink.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 09:51:39 -0700
Lynton,

Leaf brix should be much higher. If it stays at 4 for very long you WILL
have insect and/or disease problems and low yields guaranteed. It is hard to
say what it should be. Even 8 would be good considering your situation.
12-16 would mean you were in much better shape. Unfortunately, the
refractometer does not tell us what we need to do only whether it works!

Once I grew rye for a cover crop that at 12" high had a brix of 16. I juiced
some for a week or so. In my experience, any other cereal grass juice paled
in comparison. You actually enjoyed drinking it. I keep thinking about doing
nice cover crops again just for the juice!

John Cowan