[compost_tea] Re: Nutrients

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 23:05:11 -0000
--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, Robert Norsen <bnbrew@y...> wrote:
> Mike the volumes to add were mentioned.  See below
>
> Mike Bosko <mjbosko_at_j...> wrote:No, i hear you there - no way you
can do a special mix per customer.   maybe an education issue for me
but I thought it was 20-50g/acre for a soil drench per DrE.

> With my setup I could do 50g per 2 acres.
> Bob answers mike:
> That 25 gpa would be generous.  Needed GPAcre changes with microbes
per gallon.  If mid range SFI tea, soil drench 10 to 20 GPA.  If
double mid range dilute to get the water needed but 5 to 10 GPA of
the ACT is the same  load of microbes. ETC.  Many of the brews will,
with adding your local compost and nutrients will turn up 2 to 4
times the mid range of microbes. You don't know until after
application, even if you send in a test sample.  After enough test
samples you still only have an idea of what is going on.  Unlike hard
technical chemical engineering,  Bio is soft and approximate every
time.  So if TEA numbers are high, what about the species?  What
about the reception in the soil?  How many survived?  How many took
off to multiply in your soil?  It seems to me Mike you gotto either
have faith or pray a lot and know that Nature is wonderful and will
do what is right  or nearly right or the best it can do whatever
comes of it.  Given some boost of the right stuff and less poison
>  nature proves to do wonderfully.

> Will one cup of alfalfa pellets be best?  Or two?  Alfalfa is so
mild in action you could choose either and get good results.  If you
are adding fish that needs to be carefully limited.  Fish will easily
over load the capacity for O2. half a cup?   Kelp is between.
Molasses is like fish  only boosts bacteria more than fungi.  Does
your alfalfa field need bacteria or fungi?  Or both?  That too,
depends on your soil and your starting condition.  It appears that
your alfalfa will select and adjust the microbes in your soil by how
your plants feed the microbes.

> Unless you are down there, living there with them, how do you know?
How? You become Elaine and spend a lifetime searching for an
impression of what is going on.  I think Elaine will quickly agree
that she can't know exactly what is going on. Her new microscope
technique will let you look at the TEA will help tell us what we are
adding but not the end result in your field.

> When will you know?  When you cut the crop and measure the
quality.  That is what made farmers so prone to go chemical.  The
results are quick, visible, the chemist dictates hard numbers, right
or wrong, they offer no approximates.  The farmer proceeds with
utmost confidense - to a terrible long term result.

> Short term the farmer is confident of what he is doing, totally
assured by the well paid salesman who sells a low cost item at a huge
profit that drives that industry to become a giant and that runs our
political machine. Farmers chemical purchase pays the dictator that
writes the rules that tells the farmer which chemical to use.

> Organic will never be that easy because it won't develop that
profit in a huge conglamorate industry, Organic can't ever look that
hard, fast, magic.

> Stay tuned.  Organic will prove that it is magic, near and long
term.   We have to be able to think & work in the workable
approximations that Nature blessed us with.  Nature will fill in the
high and low spots if we give her a boost and quit adding poisons.
1,000 Elaines, a milllion of us students, ten million farmers, a
hundred million shopper moms will prove that Nature, at Human level,
is as smart as Nature at microbe levels.

<><>><>>Hey BobO thanks for your answers and questions too.  I'm
thinking "organic" can be "easy" simply because "that it is magic"
and 'cause it is natural. I also think it will take a while to become
profitable and I hope farmers( I'm not sure there's 10 million left)
can survive organic farming, whether certified or not, w/o toxic
chemicals until it does become profitable for all. I sure think
you're on the right track with the CATC rig to cover lots of acres in
a day. Some farmers out here need to spray 100-200 acres per 10-12
day and spray has to be economical too cause afterall, it takes BIG
bucks each trip over the ground(fuel,machinery,labor,ACT and
soilamendments) ...Dennis Kemnitz

Sorry about thelong answer, Mike, You just wanted to know how much
alfalfa to add. About any moderate amount will be OK.  Bob

> Mike's question continues:
> You say too, add compost, alfalfa, molasses, etc - I see that too
in the CTManual - but no quantities.  Do you have suggested starting
points for these three ingredients, when using the pacs?

> Will call you later today.  Thanks Bob!

> Mike

>  Prior messages clipped here by Dennis

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor