[compost_tea] RE: Nutrients

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:19:52 -0700 (PDT)

Mike the volumes to add were mentioned. See below

Mike Bosko <mjbosko_at_jmtsystems.com> wrote:No, i hear you there - no way you can do a special mix per customer. maybe an education issue for me but I thought it was 20-50g/acre for a soil drench per DrE.

With my setup I could do 50g per 2 acres.
Bob answers mike:
That 25 gpa would be generous. Needed GPAcre changes with microbes per gallon. If mid range SFI tea, soil drench 10 to 20 GPA. If double mid range dilute to get the water needed but 5 to 10 GPA of the ACT is the same load of microbes. ETC. Many of the brews will, with adding your local compost and nutrients will turn up 2 to 4 times the mid range of microbes. You don't know until after application, even if you send in a test sample. After enough test samples you still only have an idea of what is going on. Unlike hard technical chemical engineering, Bio is soft and approximate every time. So if TEA numbers are high, what about the species? What about the reception in the soil? How many survived? How many took off to multiply in your soil? It seems to me Mike you gotto either have faith or pray a lot and know that Nature is wonderful and will do what is right or nearly right or the best it can do whatever comes of it. Given some boost of the right stuff and less
  poison
 nature proves to do wonderfully.

Will one cup of alfalfa pellets be best? Or two? Alfalfa is so mild in action you could choose either and get good results. If you are adding fish that needs to be carefully limited. Fish will easily over load the capacity for O2. half a cup? Kelp is between. Molasses is like fish only boosts bacteria more than fungi. Does your alfalfa field need bacteria or fungi? Or both? That too, depends on your soil and your starting condition. It appears that your alfalfa will select and adjust the microbes in your soil by how your plants feed the microbes.

Unless you are down there, living there with them, how do you know? How? You become Elaine and spend a lifetime searching for an impression of what is going on. I think Elaine will quickly agree that she can't know exactly what is going on. Her new microscope technique will let you look at the TEA will help tell us what we are adding but not the end result in your field.

When will you know? When you cut the crop and measure the quality. That is what made farmers so prone to go chemical. The results are quick, visible, the chemist dictates hard numbers, right or wrong, they offer no approximates. The farmer proceeds with utmost confidense - to a terrible long term result.

Short term the farmer is confident of what he is doing, totally assured by the well paid salesman who sells a low cost item at a huge profit that drives that industry to become a giant and that runs our political machine. Farmers chemical purchase pays the dictator that writes the rules that tells the farmer which chemical to use.

Organic will never be that easy because it won't develop that profit in a huge conglamorate industry, Organic can't ever look that hard, fast, magic.

Stay tuned. Organic will prove that it is magic, near and long term. We have to be able to think & work in the workable approximations that Nature blessed us with. Nature will fill in the high and low spots if we give her a boost and quit adding poisons. 1,000 Elaines, a milllion of us students, ten million farmers, a hundred million shopper moms will prove that Nature, at Human level, is as smart as Nature at microbe levels.

Sorry about thelong answer, Mike, You just wanted to know how much alfalfa to add. About any moderate amount will be OK. Bob

Mike's question continues:
You say too, add compost, alfalfa, molasses, etc - I see that too in the CTManual - but no quantities. Do you have suggested starting points for these three ingredients, when using the pacs?

Will call you later today. Thanks Bob!

Mike

JMT SYSTEMS CONSULTING
Systems Development, Support and Administration