Re: [compost_tea] Brix response

From: Lloyd Charles <lcharles_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:07:35 +1000

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Matt Leamy
  To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 8:38 AM
  Subject: [compost_tea] Brix response

  Hi Lloyd

.
  I have a refractometer and have been making general observations with it.=
  Can you detail for us your methodology for measuring brix response to a s=
pecific input?

  Cheers Matt Leamy

  Matt I have cut and pasted several of my brix replies below (all copyrigh=
t of course)
  hope that may answer some questions tho just reading your next post you h=
ave most of this figured out pretty good.
  cheers
  Lloyd Charles

  Sampling for brix
  1. keep it simple
  2. be consistent
  3. be very aware of weather conditions - sunlight - temperature - wind -
  barometric pressure -
  4. keep good records - write all of the above down for each sampling alo=
ng
  with time of day
  5. - dehydrated plants - any sort of stress can cause
  accumulation of sugars - Hugh Lovel had an excellent posting on bdnow (ba=
ck
  a while)
  explaining the daily cycling of brix - Elaine explains this really well t=
oo,
  her "cake and cookies" story is great!
  6. What part to test - this is gut feeling only, I have no scientific ba=
sis
  for what follows -in a new wheat crop - to three leaf stage - we would ta=
ke
  whole plants from about 1 inch above ground. From five leaf on we mostly
  sample the third leaf. As the crop progresses we would do some tests from
  younger leaves and also stem sap. As we go into grain filling, just befor=
  the leaves shut down, I want to see good brix in the stem sap - figuring
  that is the last feed the grain will get.
  7. In all of this what I am most interested in is checking response to
  foliar applications - we do this before we spray -using small pump spray
  bottles on meter square test plots we come back and measure brix from
  45minutes to two hours after spraying our test brew - we look for at leas=
  two brix or better increase and would not apply any material that will no=
  give it -
  8 If you have a neighbour that grows conventionally see if you can take
  some brix measurements there for comparison .

   Allan you're right -High brix can be the result of any number of things=
 -
  moisture stress for one -
  But what I am interested in is an INCREASE (or decrease) in plant sap bri=
  else) on growing plants and I AM certain of the meaning in the numbers in
  that scenario.
  I am also certain that there would be some stages of crop growth when
  application of good quality compost tea could easily be detrimental to th=
  short term progress of that crop - (I'm thinking of critical stages of fr=
uit
  initiation and set) - use of the refractometer will indicate this - wheth=
er
  or not.

   My testing proceedure as follows
  1. spray several different test bottle brews (usually four) on a square
  meter of crop about 5 meters apart so no crossover effect - always spray =
in
  line with the seeder travel so no distortion due to seeding rate, depth, =
or
  fertiliser quantity (still using a little non acid starter down the tube)
  2. 30 to 45 minutes later come back to test results with refractometer
  3. I do one untreated test at one end then test each plot then another
  untreated at the other end of the plots, if the untreated readings are no=
  reasonably consistent with one another I would probably abandon that set =
and
  start again. Hey I'm trying to do this properly you know!
  4 . Usually there would be one or sometimes two brews with nicely elevate=
  brix on the first test

  in an actively growing crop - with
  changeable weather conditions, sunlight, temperature etc, there should be=
  wide range in the "normal" brix throughout the day, (Hugh Lovel refers to
  'the ebb and flow of sap' and thats whats happening). I think its extreme=
ly
  important to do the measurements of treated vs untreated at the same time=
 of
  day, under the same conditions, otherwise we can get misleading results =
-
  30 minutes can easily turn into an hour - and an hour of increasing sunli=
ght
  and warmth can easily raise the reading a couple of brix points. With any
  testing method we must always strive to eliminate the un necessary variab=
les
  that cloud the results.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor