Re: [compost_tea] Still about pre-activation

From: Scott Alexander <daylily_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 11:08:16 +1000
. These containers are
> placed in a 90 liter plastic bath with about 3 inches of water covering
the
> fish tank heater that keeps the water at 25 C.We have had frost for the
last
> two or three weeks so it is a bit chilly around here

Very chilly here in Queensland as well.
Re heating the compost - i did a couple of trials with an old electric
blanket (waterproofed!) in a shed on a concrete floor (just in case it
caught on fire!) and found that the lowest setting was just right. I made a
"tunnel" and placed the 10kg of compost & oatmeal inside it on a flattish
tray about 5" deep. Three days later there was fungi growth  but not a great
as described by others. I think I need to heat it for 4 or 5 days. There
were a few holes in the compost so obviously the set-up is very attractive
to rats!
Scott Alexander

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here